A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Session 1: Beaver Cabin

Week 1 is over. About 75 kids came to camp for this session and there were 10 in my cabin. Most of them had hemophilia or sickle cell anemia. My cabin houses boys aged 15/16 and many of them are returnees; so they know the routine of camp and are usually eager to impart into the younger campers. They were was an amazing group of young men.

After arriving on thursday, the campers settled in and we had a big campfire in the evening.
Friday was Great Escape day. I took Jamil on the bumper cars, and I rode 3 rollercoasters!! Keep in mind that I haven't been on a rollercoaster since I went on Space Mountain in Disneyworld when I was 10 or so!!
Saturday, my cabin went white water rafting but only two counsellors got to go and I wasn't one of them :(. Maybe next time. They had a blast though.
Sunday, was a fairly normal day of camp. In the evening was the infamous..........dance!! Jenny spent much time dancing with one of her "Bear's" (Bianca). I spent most of the dance hanging out with Cooper.
Monday, my cabin was scheduled for the Ropes course. This is always a camp favorite. In the evening was the Session 1 talent show followed by a Wishboat ceremony followed by one last Cabin Night. The Wishboat is a small boat of wood constructed by each cabin that houses individual wishes the campers would like to experience. For our last Cabin Night, we watched Anchorman in the indoor pool. It was pretty sweet.
In between all these activities there was the normalicy of camp life: taking campers to the Barn, and to Creative Arts, and Arts & Crafts, and Team Adventure (sports), and the Waterfront (boating, fishing), and the Pool, etc etc.

Today is our break and tomorrow a group of about 125 campers arriver for another week of craziness. I will be a Beaver for two more sessions and then we get to switch cabins and experience camp from another perspective. Jenny is a Bear (which is the oldest girls cabin) along with being Small Animals Assisitant at the Barn.

Don't forget to visit Jenny's blog (http://www.missionaryjenny.blogspot.com/) for her perspective on camp, and also our Flickr site -->HERE<-- for pictures, and our YouTube -->HERE<-- for videos. Keep praying for us. The Harvest is large and the labourers are few!!!