A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Chri......um, I mean, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Whew, that was close, I almost put the word "Christ" back into "X"mas. Wouldn't want to offend anyone!

My pastor made a good point last sunday. (Paraphrased) He said that when someone you know has a birthday, you celebrate who they are today, not who they were one the day they were born. It's a good point. So much of Christmas (when Jesus is actually included) is about the poor, helpless baby Jesus. Jesus today is our Saviour. He has fulfilled His purpose and the Holy Spirit is now attempting to bring His church to the maturity we should have already attained. We should think of Jesus today as who He is, not was. The world is so clever to demean anything to do with an idea of Jesus that may offend. Really though, is anything less offensive than unconditional love? Maybe the world is more offended by Christians than by Jesus?

So, tomorrow I board a plane and head back to St Catharines, Ontario. What does 2008 hold for me? Live and learn, I guess. Merry CHRISTmas everyone. Jesus still loves you all!