A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bear For A Day



Today was 'Day 3 of Session 6' or (more importantly) Great Escape Day!! For many of the children who attend HH, this is the best day of the best week of their year. It started off early this morning with rain :(. The clouds went away though and we were able to go. Sam (my unit leader) asked me if I was willing to leave the Muskrat Cabin for the day and help out with the Bear Cabin. The Bears are the oldest female cabin at HH (15-16 yrs) and is the cabin Jenny worked with our first 3 weeks here. I was teamed with Lolly (the Bear's UL), Felisha (an Eagle counselor), and a 16 yr old camper with cerebral palsy. I was recruited to help mainly with helping lift and transfer into rides. We drove around in cars, and took a ride in a boat, and drove the cars again. After lunch we rode the Raging River, and to end the day we went on a ferris wheel.
It was a nice change to be a part of the Bear's day at Great Escape. Lolly is an awesome leader who was nicer to me today than I could expect. The amount of lifting and transferring I did today was quite hard on my body, but it was well worth it to see the fun that our camper had, and couldn't have had without my help.
Isn't that what life is really about? Daily inconveniencing yourself for the sake of others? It's ok if the answer makes you uncomfortable. It should. Christians are here to show the world what real servanthood is. All the giants of the Christian faith whom we say we would love to imitate would likely be embarrassed to say they even know us. We have many words, but few actions to back them up. The time is getting closer. Closer than yesterday, and closer still a moment from now. How convicted are we?