A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Monday, August 11, 2008

camping + Lake Luzerne = rained out

For our break between Sessions 6 & 7, Jenny & I took our tent and went back on the HH property and tried to do camping again. The first night was pretty good, but all the wood we tried to find to start a fire was soaked from all the rain we have received. I did manage to find some white tree bark which burned long enough for us to roast some hot dogs. It was a pretty poor fire though. We got through the night without rain and had a decent time.
Last night however, was hellish! We went back to the site around 9:30pm or so and as soon as we got into the tent I noticed water on the ground. Our tent had been leaking through the day! And our blankets were slightly wet as well. Not to be deterred, we carried on as planned. Then the sky opened up and the rain started falling. Somehow(?) the mattresses we were sleeping on started having water seep through them. The rain continued and at 5:00am this morning we called it quits and headed back to the Ranch. What a miserable night. But, on the positive side of things, I wonder what it was like for those early pioneering missionaries who abandoned the comforts they took for granted and laid them down for the sake of giving the Gospel to those unfortunate enough to have never heard. What a minimal inconvenience we suffered this weekend compared to them. When things got tough we easily retreated to our comfortable rooms; they, never had the option, nor would they have chosen to.
Let us devote our lives more completely to you Lord. We want to be so dedicated to you as to simply astound people.

I've really been missing the foreign mission field again. I found a couple pictures from some friends that I've been meaning to post and I thought I'd do it now. The first is from Inger Gaudestad (taken in Uganda) and the next if from Candace Andrews (taken in Congo). Like I said, I miss the field and want to return.