A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Thursday, January 19, 2006

wisdom from Bill Johnson

Probably ten to thirteen years ago now, I just really felt impressed to take six months and work on three verses of the Bible to see if I could learn how to apply the instructions to my life. It's out of 1 Thessalonians 5. It says, "Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks." I thought, "You know, those three commands are all inclusive. If I could learn to do those three things, I'd have everything else in my life come together." So I would quote it throughout my day. I'd think about it as I was going about my day, "Rejoice always." That's real demanding, because that means in everything! That means I just have to choose joy and express it in every situation. Some situations are easier than others. Then there's the "pray without ceasing"; that's really demanding too. Man, this is all or nothing here; I've got to stay in communion with the Lord constantly. Then, "In everything give thanks." No room for error here. Do these three things all the time. Always be thankful and happy, and pray about everything. So I came to the conclusion, if I could learn those three things, I'd be a saint.

People come to me and say, "I just need to know God's will for my life."

I tell them, "Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks." The next phrase is, "For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

"Yeah, but I need to know whether the take this job or whether I should live in Portland or I should live in San Jose."

"It makes very little difference, if you rejoice always, pray without ceasing and in everything give thanks."

"Yeah, but I don't know what to do for my occupation."

"Pump gas or be a doctor, it doesn't matter to me. But just rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks. This is the will of God. Everything else is trivial."

"Yeah, but I don't know if I should go to the School of Ministry or go to college."

"I don't care. It's a win-win situation. Just rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and in everything, give thanks.

Bill Johnson ( of course )