A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Saturday, March 03, 2007

FAITH WORKing through LOVE = HUMILITY?

As far as our relationship to Christ Jesus is concerned, it doesn't matter whether we are circumcised or not. But what matters is a faith that expresses itself through love. (Galatians 5:6 GWT) Indeed. I've been stuck on this verse for about 5 days now. I'm dissecting it. You see, my pastor wrote me an email and said that "the greater the calling of God on our lives, the greater the level of humility we must walk in to fulfill that calling." I agree. So that sent me off on a pursuit of what humility truly is. I think a lot of it is contained in the above scripture (Gal 5:6).



According to James, "faith by itself is dead if it doesn't cause you to do any good things."(2:17 GWT), and "You fool! Do you have to be shown that faith which does nothing is useless?"(2:20 GWT), and again "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."(2:26 NASB).



On the other hand, the Apostle Paul says, "If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing."(1Corinthians 13:2-3 NASB)


In retrospect, if your faith isn't expressed through works, it proves you don't have faith at all. And if your works aren't done in love then your works are proven useless as well. So we look back at Galatians 5:6(NASB) which says, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision
means anything, but faith working through love."



And now back to humility. I think I believe that expressing your "faith" through "love" which "works" is humility. But do I? I really believe that if we truly think that we actually know what humility is, then we aren't able to attain it. Believing we completely know what humility is disqualifies us from truly walking in it. It is wisdom to realize that for now, "Now we see a blurred image in a mirror. Then we will see very clearly. Now my knowledge is incomplete. Then I will have complete knowledge as God has complete knowledge of me."(1Corinthians 13:12 GWT). Humility is a journey that we must follow. It's destination is the Throneroom.