A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Greatest Commandment

People often test people that have a greater spiritual wisdom with questions designed to defame their reliability. It happened to Jesus all the time. In Luke 10:25-28, an expert in the Torah tried to talk Jesus into a corner by asking which commandment was the greatest. Jesus let the man's own words ensnare him and then gave a powerful story showing how loving God exhibits compassion (Luke 10:29-37).

That 'greatest' commandment to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind" is screaming at me today. It's relentless. It wants me to do this as much (actually much more) than I want to do it.

The first world church is starving. It doesn't realize it. In our justification of materialism, we manipulate God's heart for our own purposes. We accumulate 'treasure here on earth' without the slightest conviction about the stewardship God demands concerning the wealth He's given us. We try to satisfy ourselves with skubalon (Gr; see Philippians 3:8{rubbish, dung}) thinking it's satisfying our spiritual hunger. We have gouged our eyes out with a fork of worldliness, and we wander around, blind and aimless, consuming things which have no part in the heavenly inheritance we are to abide in.

It's a cycle of eating ****(skubalon), getting sick, denying God, and filling the void with more trash.

I have literally had enough of it. I cry for the Lord to "KILL ME", to give me His love, His compassion, His humility. There is nothing else I want to desire. Satan has turned this world to trash and I just want to take the treasure of Jesus into this garbage and beautify it with His glory. Trash to treasure; but how can we turn trash to treasure when we are filled up with trash ourselves? We can't. Our blindness leads us into the arms of self-sufficiency.

"Come Holy Spirit. Invade my earthen vessel and let Your dunamis flow from me like a mighty river, washing the trash of earthly materialism from the face of the path You have ordained my feet to tread. Kill me, completely. Let my every breath reek of Heaven, of Your Kingdom. Please Lord, I can't do it any other way. I can't eat the excretement of the world any longer. I need Your fresh bread from Heaven. I give You permission to do all this in the most dramatic, violent way You deem necessary. Please.............