A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Sunday, March 18, 2007

March Break wrap up

Pretty mellow week, if I do say so myself. I started full time at NCC this week doing custodial work. My hours are 6am-2pm (but while I am in school it will be work from 6am-8am, CBC from 8am-12pm, then work from 12pm-6pm); not sure how long I'll be in the position but I guess we'll see. If God don't provide for me in this area, He'll provide through another, so it's all good.

TUESDAY: Josh, Melody, and I went to Scott Street Manor for a visitation type service. It was pretty sweet. It's a group home for people in their 40's, 50's and up. The residents seemed to really enjoy our company. WEDNESDAY: there was "The Jesus Encounter" service with Dennis Shearer at NCC. It was a powerful time. He spoke on Isaiah 6 and how God gave an open heaven revelation to Isaiah (v.1-7), which was follwed by a decision from Isaiah(v.8), which was followed by a burden (mission) given to Isaiah(v.9-13, and so throughout the rest of his book). Good times, crucial to the Church in this time and season.

I also did a book report for Pastor Roxanne Youngren's 'Counselling' course. The book was The DNA of Relationships by Dr Gary Smalley. It had great acclaim from the other CBC students I talked with, but failed to impress me much. It was about restoring relationships in every area of your life. It was alright, I guess, but I won't be buying it for my library. On the other hand, I am currently reading The Prophets by Abraham J Heschel and it is awesome. Kind of over the head, I'm not that smart to understand most of the writing (kind of like reading C.S. Lewis, only worse, maybe), sort of thing, but extremely enjoyable. It reveals the mindset and inner lives of the Hebrew prophets. Here's a couple of quotes from Abraham Heschel:
-- "In regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society, some are guilty, while all are responsible."
-- "Remember that there is a meaning beyond absurdity. Be sure that every little deed counts, that every word has power. Never forget that you can still do your share to redeem the world in spite of all absurdities and frustrations and disappointments."
-- "When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."