A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Thursday, March 23, 2006

V for Vendetta

Well, I went to see "V for Vendetta" tonight with a couple of guys from my church. I wouldn't recommend this movie and didn't even really want to see it in the first place, but Shawn Cuthill said he'd like me to comment on Natalie Portman's scene where she is imprisoned and tortured. Before I comment, I'd like to say that Natalie made this movie bearable. She is by far one of my most favoritest actresses.

So "V" imprisons
Evey and tortures her to see if her ideals will hold the test. We don't know for how long (maybe I missed it) but it was likely at least a couple of weeks. When time had passed, "V" (she don't know its "V" though) comes in and tells her if she don't cough up some info on the double they are gonna take her out back and shoot her. Evey replies to that saying, "Kill me then" (or something to that effect). The disguised "V" walks out of the cell saying, "You don't fear anymore, now you are truly free" (or something similiar).

I think this is what all our pastors should do once in a while. Get some crazies to storm the church and take a random person hostage and rough them up a bit and persecute, etc. It's a good little test to see where we stand in our "faith". We say we're willing to die for Jesus, but, are we? Are we really? It might be good to have that put to the test. In the end
Evey (Natalie Portman) passed the test and proved that she was indeed willing to die for what she believed in. It's a horrifying thought, but I think it would be good for all of us, who profess to be Christians, to be in her spot at some point. Many of those who will actually give up their whole entire lives for the sake of taking the gospel to the unreached, probably will.

Praise God.