A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Friday, July 28, 2006

Amsterdam


I was checking out images of cities I had been in or visited and I found this one of Amsterdam. What a sweet pic. I've travelled to A'dam 4 times (feb/98, dec-jan/98-99, dec-jan/99-00, nov/00) and other than Pemba it is the foreign place I've spent more time in than any other. *note: my visits to A'dam were before I met Jesus* This city is definitly in need of some missionaries, ones who preferrably haven't had a past of drug addiction, promiscuity, etc, seeing that in Amsterdam, "anything goes". Drugs, prostitution (the infamous Red Light District), you name it. I did like the place though. The Anne Frank House was awesome, and so were the museums, but to be totally honest with you that is not what lured me to this city. I have many, many pictures from Amsterdam, but they are all on Mom's computer, the days before the digital camera craze!!

A'dam has a spiritually deadened community. In WW2 the leading religious figures submitted to Nazism and the people have not forgotten. They are quite bitter towards the church.

So, I have not been back to
Amsterdam since late 2000. It really does have a special place in my heart. The last 3 times I travelled there I went by myself cause none of my friends would bother to save up the funds to go. Only God knows if I will ever be back. I'm not opposed to going back, it's a beautiful city with great people. Expensive, yes, but worth it. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I can see me being back some day, short-term.