A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Friday, July 21, 2006

stories from the field #9: stolen NASB in Pemba :(

This picture was taken back before I went to Pemba last summer. It makes me sad :(. Here, I am reading my treasured NASB, which was stolen right out of my hands as I walked down the road in Pemba. The picture to the left shows the stretch of road and the village where my Bible now resides (if it wasn't used as fuel for a fire!). Paul, Inger, and I were just walking back to base #2 when this guy snuck up behind me and ripped 'my precious' from my hands and took off like a shot! I took about half a dozen strides after him, but quickly realized that Africans are in much better shape, as a whole, as are whities. Anyways, by the time I decided to chase after him, he and his accomplice were deep into the village. I tried to hire some local kids to find him, but there was no luck. He got away. I can only hope that God touched him and he learned english and became an evangelist in the Pemba'n village. Funny thing is that Susi and Jerry got me another Bible (NASB Open Bible) which was left by a short-termer who left the most random, untheological study notes all over it!! I mean, ask Joy, Inger, Paul, Susi, the othe HoGi's, Sonia, Carinne, Margie, Josh, and on and on and on. They'll tell you, that girl had 'issues'!!! Good stuff. Anyways, 'my precious' NASB was stolen, but it paved the way for my NASB Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible and I recently picked up a slimline NASB reference bible which is quite similiar (except for size) to the one which was stolen :). Yeah, I won't lie; I thought about pulling a Sons of Thunder routine and calling for 'the fire'. It's all good though, I'm over it...................sort of..............I guess.