A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Thursday, December 21, 2006

WIBI 3rd Quarter report


Well, well, well. 1/2 of my school year is over, and 3/4 of my WIBI term is done. To say I've learned a lot would be an understatement. It has definitely been a stretching; but what isn't, in this 'christian' life? There are many doctrines that I agree not with, that I've run head on into, here in St Catharines. It gives me a bigger picture, as a whole, of ministry, and the 'christian' world in general. I really didn't expect to disagree with as much as I do here, but it's a growing process and I'm thankful for it. I do know that the Gospel is being deeply embedded in all of us though. It is a beautiful thing. To see some many young 'christians' being able to confidently minister the love of Christ to a lost and broken world. All the little doctrinal differences that are outside that don't really mean that much in the end. It's Jesus, and Him alone, that transforms lives and brings change. The ministry of reconciliation; a calling crucial to understand. How can you minister reconciliation when you don't know what was reconciled? Many christians don't; hence the present situation in the church.

Regardless, I've 4 mths to go in my 2 yr Bible School endeavor. I may have said this before, but "I can't wait to graduate so I can take the next step in getting back to Africa." What that next step is? I can't even really begin to guess. There are many many different scenarios that could manifest in that time, so I will keep my thoughts silent and let God do as He wills. My plans are just that........'my' plans. God has His own plans that often take different paths to get to the same destination.

Back to WIBI though. I don't know if it's an 'age' thing, or a 'priority' thing, but I'm still having a major hard time connecting to and relating to almost all of the student body. I see a lot of carnality; maybe it's just me, but I see it nonetheless. I look back to Holy Given #1 and see the friendships I made in under a month. I look at WIBI and see the friendships I've made over the past 4 months. It's just different. Here is not my home; I know it, and the students definitely know it! The couple friends I've made here are truly awesome people, great servants of God; you know who you are! Alas, my heart is in the 3rd World, literally......it's still over there. And only untill I go back will I really know the depth of my feelings towards the poor, lost, broken, dying, starving, desperate people living there. There isn't a real witness for the poor here at WIBI. Maybe thats why I'm here? Shock and awe baby!!! I guess. Pushing buttons is easy, imparting passion is another thing alogether.

Anyways, I'm off to PEI for the Season. What awaits me there?