A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Jesus was wealthy (?)

A few weeks ago in Biblical Economics class we were taught on the subject of "Jesus was wealthy". Lets examine this, if we shall.

  • An Old Testament sign of the blessing of God was a person's wealth and possessions. And since Jesus walked in the days of the Old Covenant (the New hadn't been instigated yet) it is logical to assume that these blessings would've rested upon Him.
  • Jesus' parents had money. They had money for the tax. (Luke 2:4-5) What tax, I don't know. The Bible says nothing of a tax, but maybe history proves otherwise, I don't know.
  • They had money for the hotel. Luke 2:7. I'll buy this one. They indeed must've been able to afford a room at the Inn, there was just no room for them.
  • They had money to buy a house in Jerusalem. (Matthew 2:10-11) If it was their house, or Elizabeth's house, or someone else's house is up for debate as well; it just says "the" house.
  • They had money to travel to another country and live there. (Matthew 2:13-14). I'm not sure. Maybe, I guess. I know I haven't had money for my last trip to Africa, or for Bible School, yet God provided.
  • They had money to buy another house in Nazareth. (Luke 2:39-40). Wow, now this is getting to be that Mary and Joesph were not only 'not poor', but they were 'loaded!!!' Once again this is extreme conjecture, in my opinion.
  • They had money to start a business. (Mark 6:3) Hmmmm.................sure, if thats what you think.
  • They could afford a large family. (Matthew 13:55-56). There certainly was brothers and sisters.
  • Jesus was well educated. (Luke 4:17-18). Argument here is that if Jesus could read then His family must've had money to send Him to school cause not a lot of people could read in those days. This is plausible, but can be explained in many other ways. Ok though, not bad.
  • He was well dressed. (John 19:23-24). Um, He did have some nice clothes, or, at least, one nice shirt. I recently acquied a nice dress jacket, not even throwing a dollar away to achieve it. Thanks Sam. I wonder if Jesus knew anyone like Sam............likely.
  • His ministry needed a treasurer. (John 12:4-6) Indeed it did. There must've been some funds going through the ministry for sure.
  • They travelled extensively (food, etc). Yeah, you can argue they needed loads of cash to get around. It's not in the Bible though.
  • They financed their own crusades and meetings. Do I need to keep commentating on these?
  • He provided for His family because no brother of Joesph came to marry Mary. If in fact Joesph died. I've a couple of ideas regarding Joesph, but nowhere in the Bible or history does it reveal what happened to him.
  • He had the funds to buy bread for the multitude. (John 6:5). I'll buy this one. It indeed appears that they could have afforded the bread.
  • He supported His disciples and followers. Wow, what scripture did this one come from?

Now, I don't really mean to be critical :), or do I? Nah, not really. Seriously. It makes me wonder where the scriptures like Luke 14:33, Luke 12:33-34, Matthew 13:44, Matthew 13:45-46, Hebrews 13:5, James 4:1-3, James 5:2-3, 1Timothy 6:6-11, Proverbs 23:4, etc etc etc, fit into the picture. Is there a better way? I see much emphasis on wealth in the 1st World Church. The phrase "It's ok to have things as long as those things don't have you" is quoted often. There is a fine line between having things and those things having you! I'll tell you something though. To do all that I believe God wants me to do takes money, and a whole lot of it. Thats the thing though, I need money to bless others, not to accumulate things for myself here on earth, where they will be useless to me in Heaven. Know what I mean? All I give up here on earth for the sake of others will be far and above abundantely supplied to me in the next life, so why bother storing things up here. When you get a taste of heavenly things, your interest in these second rate earthly things is not so great anymore. It's a Kingdom fact. Anyways, I'm sure many, many people will disagree with me, and I'm sure I haven't communicated my thoughts on the subject as accurately as I would have like to, but that's what it is, and that's what I wrote.