A WANNABE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY, AND A DISCIPLE OF ST. ARBUCKS

Monday, October 08, 2007

6 yrs old, and back to Grade 3

Another week has flew by and it's amazing at how fast time actually slips away on us. Mother Teresa has said: Yesterday has gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.

Last friday was one of those 'one of a kind' days that you don't get many of in this life. I woke up early, as I had been invited by a friend of a friend to sit in with a grade 3 class at a local school in downtown St Petersburg to immerse myself in some Russian culture. Upon driving to the school I was kind of nervous and not knowing what to expect cause the entire day was to be in Russian and I was afraid that the kids would think it very uncomfortable to have me (a thirty year old) sitting in class with them. As soon as they seen me they ALL ran over and began practicing their limited english on me, and taking pictures of me, and shaking my hand, etc. It was hilarious. They offered their chairs to me, and their books during class. One little girl (Sasha) gave me 3 rubles for lunch. Another little girl gave me a snack bar to eat. Nastya even gave me her phone number!!? Over and over, they made me things, continually involved me in the class, went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and communicate with me, and shared the Gospel to me without using words. 3 of them even walked me to the door when the day was over. It was awesome. I loved the day. They even asked the teacher if I would return another day. And on thursday I will return to that class to participate in a field trip to a local art museum. I cannot wait.

In other events, I am now 6 years old. Yesterday marked a 6 year milestone of my walk with God. 6 years............. it's amazing how faithful and pastoral God is. For my birthday, Анюта ( pronounced Annoota; but I call her Annushka) took me around the city to see some of the sights. She took me to St Isaac's Cathedral, and the Church of the Savior on Blood; both of which were absolutely amazing. It twas a great day indeed. Очень even.